~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There’s a problem with the foundation at Ledge…
The underwater foundation of Ledge Lighthouse was built by T.A. Scott in 1908. The rare image, above, was provided by Pierce Rafferty of the Henry L. Ferguson Museum on Fishers Island. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Condition of the Foundation

Completed in 1909, New London Ledge Lighthouse was manned until 1987. Soon thereafter, a friends group – the Ledge Light Foundation (LLF) – took on basic maintenance at the light. photos: 2020 & 2021 details of foundation landing collar.
——————–
This summer, the group made several important repairs at the lighthouse, with the support of a state ‘Good to Great’ grant. (Notes provided by LLF)
1.) Patched and painted the secondary foundation (the one above water) was completed.
2.) Installed an off grid solar power system. NOTE: Power to LL was interrupted in 2017 when the undersea cable was compromised and the power company opted not to provide power to LL.
3.) Completed a marine toilet system and repair of the rest room.
4. Upgraded the lighting to more energy-efficient LED track lighting.
————————————-
‘New South West Ledge Light – New London Harbor’, postcard ca. 1909, above. The light in 2014, below.
————
HABS HAER 1968 documentation of Ledge Light, above. Ledge Light as seen from Osprey Beach, 2022, below.
————
——————
Last summer, as a condition for the reconstruction of the State Pier, (the construction of which will destroy historic maritime material), the LLF received a $100,000 SHPO grant.
Writes LLF, ‘The LLF plan is to use the SHPO/CPA Grant monies to repair the foundation “landing collar” on all four sides of the primary foundation. The planning has begun and the work will begin in April of 2022. Braga Construction Company -Westbrook, CT has been selected, based on their demonstrated knowledge of what is required and past experience repairing marine structures e.g. sea walls, docks, etc. Based on their site inspection and understanding of what is needed, they have agreed to repair the four sides of the foundation landing collar for $100,000.’
The collar, in part, protects the upper foundation (directly beneath the brick lighthouse) from ice.
Repair of the collar should allow for much safer landing at the lighthouse.
————
New London Maritime Society took ownership of Ledge Lighthouse from the federal government in 2014. Today we teach about Ledge and local lighthouses at the Custom House Maritime Museum, where Ledge’s original Fresnel lens is on display.
————
Every summer NLMS provides boat trips to visit inside the lighthouse. Watch our Ledge Light facebook page for details. We are proud to work with the support of the Ledge Light Foundation lighthouse keepers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep an eye on the harbor 24/7 with our New London HarborCam. We’ve had 2.6 million viewerssince July 2019. Image from Jan 22, 2022 at 5:01 PM – and it’s still light! Temp: 28F, RH: 51%, Dew Point: 12F, Sky: Scattered Clouds, Wind: 0mph N
  • Facebook the Custom House MUSEUM SHOP for gifts with an extra feel good factor — when you shop with us your purchases support our exhibitions, & educational programs.
  • We’re on Instagram! nlmaritime

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have a Sparkling Day!

150 Bank Street, New London, CT 06320 | 860-447-2501
————
Our doors are closed but we are open online | Visit us on social media and on our website | Facebook | Instagram |NL HarborCam
860-447-2501
———————

====================================  

 

AAQ / Resource: Townsend Manor Inn

Old Fashioned Hospitality

______________________________________________