~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOLDEN AGE OF STEAMBOATS ON LONG ISLAND SOUND

——————–
New London to New York by Night Boat: Ellery Thompson Recalls the Golden Age of Steamboats on Long Island Sound, a new online exhibition by Brian Rogers, drawn from Ellery Thompson’s unpublished manuscripts and from the book collection in the NLMS Frank L. McGuire Library.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Above, Fall River’s older Pilgrim was nicknamed the “Iron Monarch of the Sound,” the first boat with an iron hull and electric lighting. Launched in 1882 as the largest and grandest steamboat in the world, she displays the elaborate sidewheel housings of her era… The once opulent Pilgrim was withdrawn in 1907 after a quarter century of service, and after nine years of layup was slowly dismantled by New London’s T. A. Scott Co. between 1916 and 1920.

———
Travel between New York and Boston and the intermediate ports of New London, Norwich, Stonington and Fall River was comfortable and popular before the automobile era, the boats being fast, often quite luxurious, with dining to rival the best hotels. This exhibition seeks to convey some of the excitement of that time. Except for one or two lines which carried on briefly in the World War II years, the golden age of the steamboats came to a sudden end in 1937 when the Fall River Lineceased operations. The New London Line had shut down two years before.
———
This latest online exhibition about New London’s colorful maritime history is now live on the NLMS website. As with the others in our series, this exhibition displays materials from the McGuire Library collection for the Greater New London community as well as the world of cyberspace beyond southeastern Connecticut.
—– Brian Rogers, Online Exhibitions Librarian
———
Important images were obtained from the Research Collections at Mystic Seaport, Steamship Historical Society, Mystic River Historical Society and the Library of Congress. Special thanks go to William G. Muller, Corey Fyke at The Westerly Sun for permission to use two 1870s photographs of the Stonington docks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday, April 11, 1:30 PM [check date & time]
———

SUBMARINES 101: An Introduction

———
JIBBOOM CLUB #1
———
CAPT Ray Woolrich, USN(Ret.) retired from the Navy in 1993 after serving on six nuclear submarines, including command of the USS TREPANG (SSN 674), a nuclear powered fast attack submarine sailing from New London.
———
 At April 19th’s [check date & time] Jibboom Club meeting, Capt. Woolrich will present Submarining 101- An Introduction to Submarines.
———
We hope to see you there! The Jibboom Club is not a ‘club’, but a friendly gathering of people interested in all aspects of the waterfront. Sponsored by the Maco Family Fund, meetings are free. We’ve got cookies & coffee, and good conversation. Please come and bring a friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any day!

———-
We give tours year-round!
Meet at the lighthouse, then climb 116 steps to the lantern room — all the while learning about the 261-year history of Harbor Light, one of the oldest lighthouses in the country, and the tallest on Long Island Sound. The views at the top are spectacular!
​———
The tour takes around 45 minutes. Everyone uses hand sanitizer and we all wear masks. 
———

Book a tour for up-to five people. Email for a custom tour.

———————————–
———
We’ve raised $2,350 so far!
We can keep our fingers crossed and wait two months for a possible grant — or we can raise the funds, ourselves!
———
We’ve been offered a remote-control camera that zooms & pans.
(The offer is at a considerable discount from what this camera usually would cost.)
This means we could zoom in on the specks on the horizon: such as Ledge & Race Rock Lighthouses, and we could pan east to watch what’s up on City Pier
& the USCG museum under construction!
———

We continue our Go-Fund-Me campaign.

———
If we do not find a sponsor, we will go ahead with replacement of the camera as it was — which was pretty great. We really miss the camera and ask your help to reach our goal. We are at $1,850. Evey donation makes a difference.
———
This is a more-expensive option, and for this upgrade we could use a SPONSOR.
If you are interested, please email Susan for sponsorship details.
Thank you to everyone who has mailed in a check and given online.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save the date: July 26 @ 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
———

BENEFIT PREMIERE:

The History of Race Rock Light 

———

Fishers Island Theater

———
Join us at the Theater to learn how a lighthouse came to be erected in the 1870s on a dangerous submerged ledge amidst some of the most unpredictable and swiftest moving tides on the East Coast. Reception immediately following.
———
Presented by the Henry Ferguson Museum.
———————–
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHOP with us at the MUSEUM

Have fun, find gifts, & support the NL Maritime Society.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New London Maritime Society | Custom House Maritime Museum, 150 Bank Street, New London, CT 06320
———————
============================================= 

AAQ / Resource: Riverhead Bay Motors

_________________________________________________