School has started and it will officially be autumn in one week,
but we wanted to celebrate the send-off of summer with this beautiful photograph from our collection.
This photo is from c. 1925 and was taken in the waters in front
of what is now The Perlman Music Program on Shore Road.
In 1894, Dr. Henry S. Pettit purchased The Peconic Lodge.
In 1922, he opened a girls’ camp on this property.
By the 1950s the camp was closed and the property was converted
back into a hotel/resort, run by Dr. Pettit’s daughter, Mrs. Edson.
Shelter Island Historical Society
PO BOX 847
Shelter Island, NY 11964