Suffolk County’s Early Silversmiths 

In our History in the Hall Display Cases Now thru January 2024

GALLERY HOURS: Weds. to Sat., 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM 


In March 2020, the Suffolk County Historical Society secured a significant acquisition of over 100 pieces of silver crafted by Suffolk County’s earliest known silversmiths. With works by Joel, John, and Paul Sayre, Elias Pelletreau, B. Coleman, and Col. David Hedges, this display case exhibit glistens with the handcrafted work of these fine eighteenth-century artisans. The SCHS Board of Trustees is proud to present this notable collection, exhibited for the first time.

Silversmithing was one of the earliest arts practiced in the American colonies. As early as 1638, just eight years after Boston had been settled, fourteen-year-old from Boston named John Hull is documented to have been apprenticed to his half-brother Richard Storer to learn the art of crafting in silver. The increase of silver coins available in the colonies added to the growing importance of silversmiths. Early American silversmiths were influenced by both Dutch and English designs, but eventually there evolved an “American” style – simple and sturdy in design, substantial in weight, and well crafted.



Copyright © 2023 Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.


Suffolk County Historical Society
300 West Main St.
Riverhead, NY 11901



AAQ / Resource:

1708 House, Southampton | Bed & Breakfast