PHOTO OF THE WEEK: September 21, 2019— FROM THE SCHS LIBRARY ARCHIVES
“How shall we know it is us without our past?”
– John Steinbeck
Village of Greenport
by Wendy Polhemus-Annibell, Head Librarian
Main Street, Greenport. (Image from the Collection of the Suffolk County Historical Society Library Archives. Copyright © Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.)
In this early Greenport scene looking north on Main Street, we can see several familiar buildings, including where Claudio’s came to be on the left and where Preston’s is today on the right. Before Greenport became a major tourist destination on the North Fork of Long Island, it was a small maritime village. Settled in 1682, the village was called Winter Harbor, Stirling, and Green Hill, before being named Greenport in 1831 and being incorporated as the village of Greenport in 1838.
Because of its deep and protected harbor, Greenport became a major whaling port between 1795 and 1859, and enjoyed a bustling shipbuilding industry as well. By the mid-1800s, the menhaden fishing industry was in full swing and employed thousands of people. The Long Island Railroad arrived in 1844 and was a driving force in the development of Greenport and the North Fork, as local farmers used the railroad to ship their harvest to markets. During Prohibition, Greenport was a thriving center for rum running.
This weekend Greenport celebrates its maritime and shipbuilding heritage with its 30th Annual Maritime Festival, hosted by the East End Seaport and Marine Foundation in partnership with the Village of Greenport.
Don’t miss the October 12 Artists’ Reception for our Women Sharing Art Multimedia Exhibit: What’s Your Compass? Free admission on opening day, 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Refreshments will be served.
to view 2019 Photos of the Week
Meetings, Banquets, Weddings, Claude’s Restaurant