THE BRIDGEHAMPTON MUSEUM
Nathaniel Rogers House
Architects: Jan Hird Pokorny Associates
Structural Engineers: Robert Sillman Associates
The Town of Southampton and the Bridgehampton Historical Society are working together as owner and steward (respectively) to restore the Nathaniel Rogers House, a multi-phased restoration project with funding from New York State’s Office of Parks, Recreation, & Historical Preservation, from the Town of Southampton, and from individual donors.
The c. 1840 house is one of the best examples of Greek Revival Architecture on Long Island, and current and proposed work stabilizes and restores this 19th century landmark building. Upon full restoration the Historical Society will use the house as its administrative headquarters and as exhibition, research, archival and curatorial space.
The Nathaniel Rogers House was built c. 1840 by famed painter of miniature portraits Nathaniel Rogers, and included three full stories and a fourth-story cupola, an Ionic two-story front porch with four columns, and elegant rooftop balustrades. The house was converted from a private residence in 1885 into a hotel and was renamed the Hampton House. It reverted to a private residence in 1949 by the Hopping family, who had been the Hampton House owners and who continued to live in the house until 2004. The House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated as a Town of Southampton Landmark.
Nathaniel Rogers (1787-1844), one of the founders of the National Academy of Design, was one of the most respected and popular miniaturists of the 19th century and has been described as being the first in rank among American miniature painters. Rogers was born in Bridgehampton, Long Island, to a farmer and the daughter of a local minister. After moving to New York City, Rogers quickly attained prominence and between 1817 and 1831 he exhibited at the American Academy of Fine Arts, and the National Academy of Design.
Rogers prospered in his career and in 1839 retired to Bridgehampton and bought and re-modeled an 1820 Federal style house built and owned by Abraham Rose. His home is considered architecturally significant, and according to SPLIA, is one of the two most important surviving Greek Revival structures on Long Island.
The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and has been designated as a Southampton Town Landmark.
Nathaniel Rogers House
Owner: Town of Southampton
Stewards/Operators: Bridgehampton Historical Society
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
——————— December 20, 2018 ———————
——————— November 28, 2018 ———————
——————— May 1, 2015 ———————
BRIDGEHAMPTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Project Manager – Joel Lipsky
Project Superintendent – John Byrnes, Jr.
Photographs, except archival, © Jeff Heatley.