August 7, 2018
August 7, 2018
August 9, 2018
August 9, 2018
Pollock-Krasner Studio, March 26, 2013 August 10, 2018 August 7, 2018 August 9, 2018 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Through the generosity of Lee Krasner, 2.5 acres of Accabonac Creek wetland and shore are being preserved by The Nature Conservancy.
Pollock-Krasner House and Study Center
–In November, 1945, Jackson Pollock and Lee Krasner moved from their Greenwich Village apartment to a homestead on Springs-Fireplace Road in Springs, overlooking Accabonac Creek. The price for the house, barn and other outbuildings on 1 ¼ acres of land was $5,000. They would eventually own five acres.
–The barn, which would become Jackson’s studio, was about 21 feet square, 18 feet at its peak, with a sliding barn door in the west wall, a concrete floor, and a roughly 13 x 21-foot lean-to addition on the south side.
–Before the barn was converted as a studio, Pollock worked in a small upstairs room in the house, where he painted his Accabonic Creek series, including The Key (1946). After Pollock moved his studio to the barn, Krasner used the upstairs studio from 1946-1956.
–In June 1946, Jackson had the barn moved from directly behind the house to a location 25 yards to the north, and placed on cinderblock footings. He added a wood floor and a large window in the north wall, but the barn was not winterized until 1953.
–With his canvases laid out on the floor, Pollock developed and refined his pouring technique in the barn studio from 1946-1952. Convergence and Blue Poles, both completed in 1952, were the last of his large paintings using that technique exclusively. Shortly thereafter, when heat and electricity were installed, Masonite squares were placed over the floor, covering the paint left by Pollock’s pouring technique.
–Pollock died in an automobile accident in August 1956.
–Krasner used the barn studio from 1957 until her death in 1984. Among the many works she painted there are Another Storm (1963), Gaea (1966), and Portrait in Green (1969). Her last painting, Morning Glory, was completed in 1982.
–Krasner’s estate deeded the Springs property to the Stony Brook Foundation, a non-profit affiliate of Stony Brook University, to be maintained as a “public museum and library.”
–From November 1987 to March 1988 the Masonite squares covering the barn floor were removed, revealing a paint-splattered surface with remnants from the canvases Pollock painted using the pouring technique, including Lavender Mist: Number 1, 1950, Autumn Rhythm: Number 30, 1950, and Number 27, 1950.
–In the 1970s Krasner deeded 2 ½ acres of wetlands bordering Accabonac Creek to The Nature Conservancy. Thanks to Town purchases, scenic easements, and acquisition funds from individuals and foundations, the site’s view corridor has been preserved.
Jackson Pollock Studio Floor. Photographed for the Jackson Pollock Retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art, 1998.
For print options, please visit: AAQ / Resource / Artist — Pollock Studio Floor.
–The Study Center’s research collections are housed in the library at Stony Brook Southampton, open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The archives are open by appointment.
–The artists’ personal library and phonograph record collection remain in their house and may be consulted by appointment. A catalogue is available on line at http://sb.cc.stonybrook.edu/pkhouse/studycenter/research_library.php
Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center
830 Springs-Fireplace Road,
East Hampton, NY 11937
Open: May-October on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Visit — AAQ Article: http://aaqeastend.com/contents/articles/pollock-the-pollock-krasner-studio/
And, Visit — AAQ Portolfio/Architecture: http://aaqeastend.com/contents/portfolio/issue-1-portfolio/pollock-museum/
Copy by Helen Harrison, Director Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center.
Photos courtesy of Pollock-Krasner House & Study Center
Photos Copyright: Jeff Heatley
Please visit: AAQ / Resource / Education / Books:
‘Historic Artists’ Homes & Studios’ by Valerie A. Balint