Jamesport Meeting House Announces

Return of Popular Historic Jamesport House Tour


JAMESPORT, NY (July 1, 2024)—The Board of Directors of the Jamesport Meeting House today announced it is organizing an Historic Jamesport House Tour for Saturday, September 14, 2024. The tour – last held in 2011 and back by popular request – offers a look beyond the front doors and garden gates of homes in Jamesport with historical and architectural significance. Also on the tour will be the Jamesport Meeting House erected in 1731 and today is the oldest public building on the East End of Long Island.


“Jamesport has a rich and varied history, from its founding as a whaling port in the 1830s, to becoming a resort destination later in the 19th century, and to the residential community it is today,” said Richard Wines, president of the Jamesport Meeting House and local historian. “The homes on the tour reflect the transitions within the community over the centuries.”


More than a dozen homes will be included on the tour, many located within the South Jamesport Historic District. These include some of the first houses built in the new port in the 1830s, as well as those erected later in the 19th century and more recent residences designed by well-known local architects. Architectural styles range from Victorian gothic in a former Methodist campground, to Greek revival, Italianate and even mid-century modern. The houses range from a modest cape built by a ship carpenter – with multiple subsequent extensions and beautiful gardens – to a sprawling ranch-style home that was previously a potato grading warehouse. Several of the homes feature interesting interior design elements and art collections.

Tour tickets will be $60 per person in advance, $75 on the tour day. Advance tickets will be available for purchase at www.jamesportmeetinghouse.org beginning in July.  

All proceeds will benefit the 1731 Meeting House. Tickets are limited.

The tour will begin at the Jamesport Meeting House located at 1590 Main Rd. The homes are all in or near South Jamesport – within three-quarters of a mile of each other – and tour patrons are encouraged to walk or bike the tour, as on-street parking is limited.


Jamesport Meeting House

The Jamesport Meeting House, erected in 1731, the oldest public structure on the East End of Long Island, is a town landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is prized for its architectural and historical significance as well as for its superb acoustics which make it a popular venue for concerts, theatrical performances, weddings, and other special events. The building is owned and operated by the nonprofit Jamesport Meeting House Preservation Trust, a 501(c)3 charitable organization.

For additional information please visit: www.jamesportmeetinghouse.org

Jamesport Meeting House                                                     Photo credit: Michael O’Connor 



AAQ / Resource: space(s) Landscape Architecture 



AAQ / Resource: Christopher Jeffrey Architects