Long Island Museum, Setauket Presbyterian Church
Among Benefactors in $100 Million Trust
The Long Island Museum in Stony Brook and the Setauket Presbyterian Church announced today that they are among the very grateful beneficiaries of a landmark gift, a $100 million charitable trust from the Kingsley Gillespie Charitable Trust, Bank of America N.A, Trustee. This gift continues the Kingsley and Kenyon Gillespie families’ lifelong legacy of philanthropy to the Three Village Community, as well as their commitment to the arts, community service and faith. Other beneficiaries of the charitable trust include MIT, Stamford Hospital in Stamford Connecticut, The Rotary Club of Stamford and the First Presbyterian Church of Stamford. Every year, the charities will receive the income earned by the trust.
The Long Island Museum will receive 10% of the income from the $100 million trust. This bequest is one of the most significant gifts in the museum’s 77 year history.
“The Board of Trustees and the museum’s staff are overwhelmed by the Gillespies’ generosity. This tremendous gift strengthens the LIM’s existing endowments and solidifies the museum’s financial foundation. We are forever indebted to the Gillespie family for their foresight and their belief in the importance of the LIM and its place as a cultural leader in our community,” stated Neil Watson, LIM’s Executive Director.
The Gillespie Meeting Room, located on the upper level of the Carriage Museum at the Long Island Museum is commemorated in memory of Doris and Kingsley Gillespie. It includes a stage and seating for approximately 125 people. The room provides space for lectures, music concerts, seminars, exhibits and other special events, a lasting tribute to Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie’s interests and the family’s professional ties to the field of communication.
Doris Kenyon was born in 1900 in Brooklyn, but as a child spent her summers in Old Field. In the 1930s, Old Field became her year-round home. She had a lifelong affection for the Three Village area and it is appropriate that a part of the Carriage Museum is commemorated in her name.
She was married to Kingsley Gillespie, a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who had begun his career as plant manager and research director of the Stamford Rubber Supply Company. In 1941 he made a career change, becoming publisher of a Connecticut newspaper, The Advocate of Stamford. In 1957 he also became publisher of the Greenwich Time. Mr. Gillespie was a former owner of Stamford radio station WSTC.
The Gillespies maintained homes in Stamford and Old Field and were involved in community activities in both areas. They were generous benefactors. In retirement years, they were able to spend more time at their Naples, Florida home.
Mrs. Gillespie is remembered fondly for her love of animals and her interest in riding. Neighbors saw her often on the roads of Old Field as she rode horses, a pony, and even a dog cart.
Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie both died at their Florida residence, he in 1984 and she in 1986. A daughter, Joan, a United States Foreign Service officer, died in Tunisia in 1959. Their son Kenyon died in March of 2015.
The Long Island Museum is a Smithsonian Affiliate dedicated enhancing the lives of adults and children with an understanding of Long Island’s rich history and diverse culture. The museum is open Thursday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. andSunday from noon to 5. For information about other exhibitions and related programs call(631) 751-0066 or visit www.longislandmuseum.org.