This silver-plated coffee pitcher was made in 1919 by the Gorham Manufacturing Company, one of the largest American manufacturers of sterling silver and silver-plated goods of its time.
The pitcher was originally produced for “The Belmont” Hotel, the name of which is engraved on its base, but eventually made its way to the New Prospect Hotel here on Shelter Island.
In 1942, the pitcher was salvaged by William Dickerson Sr. from the fire that destroyed the New Prospect. A little over fifty years later, in 1996, his daughter Dorothy Dickerson Clark donated it to the Historical Society.
PO BOX 847
Shelter Island, NY 11964
AAQ / Resource
Bruce Nagel + Partners Architects