Photo of the Week

———— June 26, 2023 ————


“How shall we know it is us without our past?”
— John Steinbeck





Riverhead Woman’s Club Annual Spring Luncheon, May 13, 1933, at the Hotel Henry Perkins, Riverhead, NY, and Account Book Record, February 13, 1933(Images from the Collection of the Suffolk County Historical Society Library Archives. Copyright Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.)


The Riverhead Woman’s Club, was organized in 1912 and incorporated in 1934. The club joined forces with the NY State Federation of Woman’s Clubs in the 1920s. The 1933 Annual Luncheon included many club members with familiar Suffolk County surnames: Griffing, Brush, Conklin, Corwin, Downs, Harding, Howell, Ketcham, Stark, Tuthill, Woodhull, Hempstead, Luce, Wells, and others.

Thanks to the good work of the Woman’s Club of Riverhead, the people were privileged to see and hear Hellen Keller, the famous blind and deaf woman, in the Riverhead High School Auditorium in February 1933. Miss Keller came to deliver some of her inspirational lectures. No admission was charged, but contributions were accepted. Mrs. George E. Pugsley, president of the Woman’s Club, noted in the Treasurer’s Account Book that $307.46 was collected in cash, checks, and pledges. In addition to Miss Keller’s address, the program featured violin solos by Miss Bessie Wells and vocal selections by Alton Medager, baratone.

“It is said of Miss Keller that she is a brilliant example of what may be accomplished in spite of physical handicaps–she has demonstrated how even physical infirmities add no barrier to a life of happiness and accomplishment” (The Riverhead News, February 10, 1933).  



Copyright © 2023 Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.  


Suffolk County Historical Society
300 West Main St.
Riverhead, NY 11901




AAQ / Resource: 1708 House, Southampton | Bed & Breakfast