Photo of the Week

May 30 – June 5, 2022



“How shall we know it is us without our past?”
– John Steinbeck




Hulbert Flag. (Image from the Collection of the Suffolk County Historical Society. Copyright © Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.)

A controversial artifact from the Suffolk County Historical Society Museum’s permanent collection, the Hulbert flag is believed by some to have been made by Captain John Hulbert of Bridgehampton and carried by him and his militiamen from Fort Ticonderoga to Philadelphia in 1775–where, after having been seen by representatives at the Continental Congress, it might have influenced the design of the first American flag. Found in the 1920s with some revolutionary war documents in a Bridgehampton attic and donated to the museum, the thirteen-star flag has been examined by a number of experts who remain divided over the oral tradition of the flag’s origins. The Hulbert flag nonetheless remains an interesting part of Suffolk County’s history as well as one of the best-known and most discussed artifacts in our museum’s collection.

You can find the flag currently on exhibit in our Long Island in Conflict exhibit.




Suffolk County Historical Society
300 West Main St.
Riverhead, NY 11901



AAQ / Resource: Townsend Manor Inn

Old Fashioned Hospitality