HORTON POINT LIGHTHOUSE, 1857
– Commissioned by George Washington in 1790 –
The Horton Point Lighthouse, located north of Southold town, was constructed by the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1857. The tower and adjoining keepers residence were built on the “Cliff Lot” of Barnabas Horton’s original 1640 land grant. The tower, which was originally connected to the residence by a cut stone wind-way, is 58 feet tall and once held a 3rd order Fresnel lens.
At the time of the automation of the lighthouse in 1933, the original Fresnel lens was removed and a new skeletal light tower was built closer to the coastline. In January of 1934, the Lighthouse and the surrounding property was purchased by the Southold Park District. During World War II the Lighthouse was occupied by the Coast Guard, Civilian Defense Corps., and a succession of military units.
In 1990 a massive restoration project was begun. The tower was repaired internally and externally, reopened, and relit. At that time the lower level of the Keeper’s House was converted into the Southold Historical Society’s Nautical Museum. The Lighthouse is listed on both the State & National Registers of Historic Places.
The Southold Historical Society’s Nautical Museum at Horton Point Lighthouse was completely renovated during the winter of 2005-06, with new exhibits, including ”Tale of the Whale,” and rare historical objects. Weather permitting, there are front porch craft demonstrations on Sunday afternoons. There will also be special events throughout the summer.
Memorial Day to Columbus Day. Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30 am – 4:00 pm.
Admission to the Lighthouse is $3.00 for adults and is FREE for children under the age of 12.
HORTON POINT LIGHTHOUSE
3575 Lighthouse Road, Southold, New York