Mulford Farm, ca. 1680
The Mulford House is open Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend; Farm open daily
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sunday, noon – 5 p.m., or by appointment
Admission: $4 adults / $3 those over 65 / $2 students
EHHS Members Free
The Mulford Farm, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is considered one of America’s most significant, intact, English Colonial farmsteads.
The farm is of interest not merely because of its importance to the history of East Hampton, but because of its antiquity. Viewed as an artifact that has been shaped to fit the needs and the pleasure of those who have lived in it, the house itself has much to tell us about the origins of Colonial New England society and the changes that still affect our lives today.
The 1680 Mulford House represents one of the most important and complex artifacts produced by our culture — the family home.
The survival of this house, built in 1680, is remarkable since it has been left largely unchanged since 1750. The majority of the framing and wood members of the house have been left undisturbed, enabling scholars to tell the story of the successive changes over time.
In addition to the house’s architectural significance, the home has remained in the Mulford hands for the majority of its existence giving scholars the opportunity to trace the family, their use of the land and structures around them. The lives and spirit of this family echo throughout the house, which was restored using period appropriate furnishings and authentic decorative arts.
The Mulford Barn, constructed in 1721, is one of the most intact early-18th-century English-plan barn forms in New York State and is recognized as an outstanding example of early-18th-century construction methods and materials.
The location of the barn also provides insight into the history of settlement patterns in this region of New York. The Mulford Barn was evaluated by the State Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation in 1990 and deemed the second most important 18th-century barn in New York State.
East Elevation, Mulford House. Photo January 9, 2019
————— New Barn Installation, 2019, below ———-
Hedges Barn restoration / construction — January 2019.
———- January 9, 2019 ———-
Copy courtesy of the East Hampton Historical Society.
East Hampton Historical Society
Mulford Farm photographs copyright Jeff Heatley.