HISTORIC PUBLIC STRUCTURES 

TOWN OF SOUTHAMPTON

A SELECTION / 1640 – 1865

———-

Conscience Point, North Sea, June 12, 1640.

Conscience Point is the approximate landing place of the first English colonists who arrived here in June of 1640. The Shinnecock Indians lived around the harbor for many centuries before the arrival of the English who subsequently settled in the vicinity of the present Southampton Village. Both the early settlers and the Native Americans benefited from the productivity of the marsh-bordered land and harbor.

Conscience Point is owned by the Southampton History Museum. A trail leads to a commemorative monument placed here in 1910. In 2000, the Museum and the Town of Southampton completed a project to restore this location to a more natural condition and to conserve its resources for the future. — Southampton History Museum

———————–

For additional views & detailed captions of the following historic structures,

please visit links at end of portfolio.

_______________________________________________________________

The Old Mill, Water Mill / Water Mill Museum 

_______________________________________________________________

Halsey House, 1683, Southampton / Southampton History Museum

_______________________________________________________________

Pelletreau Silver Shop, 1686, Southampton / Southampton History Museum

_______________________________________________________________

Windmill, c. early-1700s, Southampton  

_______________________________________________________________

Foster-Meeker House, 1735, Westhampton Beach. / Westhampton Beach Historical Society

_______________________________________________________________

Barn, 1740, Sagaponack / Madoo Conservancy 

_______________________________________________________________

Battle of Sag Harbor, May 23, 1777, Sage Street 

_______________________________________________________________

E.C. Bennett, c. 1780, Practical Horse Shoers / Southampton History Museum

_______________________________________________________________

Custom House, c. 1790, Sag Harbor / Preservation Long Island

_______________________________________________________________

Prosper King House, 1790 / Hampton Bays Historical Society

_______________________________________________________________

The Annie Cooper Boyd House, c. 1796 / Sag Harbor Historical Society 

_______________________________________________________________

Old Noyac School House. Original circa 1796. 

_______________________________________________________________

Corwith Windmill, 1800 / North Haven — 1813 / Water Mill 

_______________________________________________________________

Canoe Place Chapel, ca. 1820, Hampton Bays / Hampton Bays Historical Society 

_______________________________________________________________

Beebee Windmill, 1820, Sag Harbor, relocated to Bridgehampton, 1915 / Bridgehampton Museum

_______________________________________________________________

Old Schoolhouse, 1822, Quogue / Quogue Historical Society

_______________________________________________________________

Sayre Barn, 1825 / Southampton History Museum 

_______________________________________________________________

Bridgehampton United Methodist Church, 1833  

_______________________________________________________________

Fireman’s Museum, c. 1833, Sag Harbor  

_______________________________________________________________

St. David A.M.E. Zion Church, 1839, Sag Harbor

_______________________________________________________________

Nathan Rogers House, 1824 – 1840, Bridgehampton / Bridgehampton Museum

_______________________________________________________________

Josiah Tuthill House, 1840, Remsenburg, moved to Westhampton Beach /

Westhampton Beach Historical Society

_______________________________________________________________

“Cooper Hall” (Mercator Cooper House), 1840s, Southampton   

_______________________________________________________________

William Corwith House, ca. 1840, Bridgehampton / Bridgehampton Museum  

_______________________________________________________________

Bridgehampton Presbyterian Church, 1842 / Bridgehampton

_______________________________________________________________

Hildreth’s Store, 1842 / Southampton History Museum 

_______________________________________________________________

First Presbyterian Church, 1843, Southampton

_______________________________________________________________

Whalers’ Church, c. 1843, Sag Harbor.

_______________________________________________________________

Rogers Mansion, 1750 to 1926, Southampton / Southampton History Museum  

_______________________________________________________________

Benjamin Huntting House, c. 1845. / Sag Harbor Whaling Museum

_______________________________________________________________

Sag Harbor Municipal Building, c. 1846, Sag Harbor  

_______________________________________________________________

One-Room Schoolhouse, c. 1847, North Haven  

_______________________________________________________________

Lyzon Hat Shop (left), 1850, Hampton Bays & Prosper King House / Hampton Bays Historical Society 

_______________________________________________________________

The Pond House, 1850 / Quogue Historical Society

_______________________________________________________________

Foster – Meeker Carriage House and Privy, Circa 1850 / Westhampton Beach Historical Society  

_______________________________________________________________

Blue Barn, Flanders, mid-19th century.

_______________________________________________________________

Remsenburg Presbyterian Church, 1853

_______________________________________________________________

Fordham Mill, 1859, Speonk  

_______________________________________________________________

Remsenburg Academy, 1860s 

_______________________________________________________________

 Monument Square, Southampton 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please visit the following portfolios for detailed captions & additional photographs:

Southampton, 1640 – 1776 / Settlement & Colonial Periods

Southampton, 1777 – 1865 / Early Republic & Economic Expansion

—————-

Photographs © Jeff Heatley.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________