Nathaniel Dominy IV built the house in 1773, the woodworking shop was added to the north wall in 1791,
Nathaniel Dominy V built an addition for his new family in 1797 and the clock shop was built
against the south wall of the original house in 1798
Dominy Woodworking Shop
Dominy Clock Shop
Works for Tall Case Clock, 1778, Made by Nathaniel Dominy IV.
Windmill machinery. Although they differ in scale, the engineering of clockworks
and windmill machinery are closely related.
Gardiner Windmill, James Lane, 1804. Built by Nathaniel Dominy V for John Lyon Gardiner and several other sponsors. Timber for the mill was cut on Gardiner’s Island and the mill was completed on September 28, 1804, costing more than 528 pounds ($ 1,320). The mill continued to operate until 1900.
Hook Windmill, 1806, East Hampton. Built by Nathaniel Dominy V.
Great spur wheel and spur wheel for cob crusher,
made by Nathaniel Dominy V in the Woodworking Shop.
Sylvester Manor Windmill, originally built in Southold in 1810 by carpenter & millwright
Nathaniel Dominy V (1770 – 1852). Currently being restored to working order.
Windshaft, brakewheel and brake band.
For further information, please visit these AAQ Portfolios / links:
Dominy House, c. 1770, East Hampton
Dominy House & Shops — Restoration Portfolio / 2017 – 2021 In Progress
Gardiner Mill, 1804, East Hampton
Hook Mill, East Hampton, 1736 / 1806
Sylvester Manor Windmill, 1810, Restoration in Progress
HELP RESTORE THE DOMINY HOUSE & SHOPS:
FUNDRAISING / PHASE TWO — RESTORATION OF SHOP INTERIORS / link
Special thanks to Robert Hefner for text & schematic, Director of Historic Services, Incorporated Village of East Hampton, and Richard Barons, East Hampton Historical Society Curator.
Photography © Jeff Heatley.