Photo of the Week
FROM THE SCHS LIBRARY ARCHIVES
“How shall we know it is us without our past?”
– John Steinbeck
Center Moriches High School, 1911-1912
by Wendy Polhemus-Annibell, Head Librarian
Center Moriches High School Students at Games and Exercises, early 1900s. (From the Collection of the Suffolk County Historical Society Library Archives. Image copyright © Suffolk County Historical Society. All rights reserved.)
According to a 1911 Center Moriches High School pamphlet in our library collection, the Center Moriches School was, prior to 1897, an ungraded school employing two teachers. A new school building was constructed and occupied by 1898, and at that time the number of teachers was increased to four. Three other teachers were added between 1903 and 1909, after which the school was raised to the grade of high school.
The new Center Moriches High School building was located on three acres on the north side of Main Street. The school grounds featured a well-kept lawn, a large playground, space for school gardens, and ample room for games and sports for the students to participate in. The school library, which contained 1,200 volumes, was open two days a week to all students and district residents.
Here is the 1911-1912 Center Moriches High School Calendar:
- Sept. 11 – First Day of School
- Oct. 12 – Columbus Day Holiday
- Nov. 7 – Election Day Holiday
- Nov. 30 – Dec. 1 – Thanksgiving Recess
- Dec. 23 – Jan. 3 – Christmas Vacation
- Jan. 15-19 – Regents Examinations
- Feb. 12 – Lincoln’s Birthday
- Feb. 22 – Washington’s Birthday
- April 6-15: Easter Vacation
- May 3: Arbor Day Holiday
- May 30 – Memorial Day Holiday
- June 17-21 – Regents Examinations
- June 25: Commencement Exercises
To View 2014 Photo of the Week pages click here.
To View 2015 Photo of the Week pages click here.
To View 2016 Photo of the Week pages click here.
To View 2017 Photo of the Week pages click here.
To View 2018 Photo of the Week pages click here.
To View 2019 Photo of the Week pages click here.
To View 2020 Photo of the Week pages click here.
AAQ Resource: Lear + Mahoney Landscape Architecture